An interior view of the blind arcade in the south nave aisle of Durham Cathedral, seen from the east and showing the south portal to the cloister and Father Smith's Organ Case in the background

Date:
1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05983
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral was originally a Benedictine Priory, refounded in 1541 as a cathedral. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The eight-bay nave has a north and south arcade with alternating compound and circular piers. The north and south aisle walls have a blind arcade with overlapping round-headed arches on paired piers. The organ was made in 1683, removed from the choir in 1847, dismantled in 1876 and re-built in it's current poition at the west end of the south nave aisle in 1903.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Aisle, Blind Arcade, Nave, Organ, Medieval Cathedral