An interior view of the galilee in Durham Cathedral, showing the three light window and recess underneath at the west end of the central aisle

Date:
1942
Location:
Durham Cathedral, Palace Green, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/05994
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The cathedral was originally a Benedictine Priory, refounded in 1541 as a cathedral. The main body was built between 1093 and 1130, with alterations and additions made in the 13th and 15th centuries.

The galilee is situated west of the west towers, and was built for Bishop le Puiset in 1189. It has four bays west-to-east and five aisles. The west end of the central aisle has a shallow arch with deeprecess behind it. There are two small single light windows at the back of the recess.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Aisle, Arch, Galilee, Lady Chapel, Medieval Cathedral