An exterior view of Cosin's Library and former exchequer building, now library, seen from the south-east

Date:
1942
Location:
BISHOP COSINS LIBRARY, PALACE GREEN, DURHAM, County Durham
Show all locations
Former Exchequer Building, Now University Library, Palace Green, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/06028
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Cosin's Library is situated on the left, and consists of a single wide bay of two storeys. It has a central door with a broken segmental pediment with crest, and a three light elliptical window above. It dates to 1667-1668. To the right has a projecting porch with canted window on top. Further right is the former chancery and exchequer, dated between 1438 and 1457, built for Bishop Neville. It has three storeys and two bays, with an entrance just below ground level to the right of the first bay. Between the bays are carvings of an angel carrying Neville's arms and a horse below.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Medieval Exchequer, Stuart Library, Uncertain Library