A detailed view of the rood screen in St Mary le Bow's Church, now a heritage centre

Date:
1942
Location:
St Mary Le Bow Church, North Bailey, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/06055
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The parish church was originally medieval, and rebuilt circa 1685. The west tower was erected in 1702 with restorations made in the 19th century. It has a west tower, three bay nave and two bay chancel. The rood screend ates to 1707 and has three openwork panels either side of the entrance. Above is a cornice with pierced leaf designs. The heritage centre was established in the church in 1972.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Rood Screen, Medieval Parish Church, Stuart Church, Late 20th Century Information Centre