An interior view of St Oswald's Church, showing the rood screen and chancel from the nave

Date:
1942
Location:
St Oswalds Church, Church Street, Durham, County Durham
Reference:
AA42/06071
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The parish church originates to the 12th century, although it is likely to be on the site of an earlier church, and was rebuilt in 1834 by Ignatius Bonomi. It has a west tower, an aisled nave of five bays, and a three bay chancel. The nave has arcades of round-headed arches, supported by three circular columns at the east end, and octagonal shafts at the west end. The chancel arch has a screen underneath and a large cross.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Arcade, Arch, Chancel, Nave, Rood Screen, Medieval Parish Church, Hanoverian Parish Church