A view from the north aisle of the choir showing the Percy Tomb in Beverley Minster

Date:
1900 - 1940
Location:
MINSTER CHURCH OF ST JOHN, MINSTER YARD, Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire
Reference:
AA42/07796
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Percy Tomb is described in The Buildings of England, Yorkshire: York and the East Riding by Nikolaus Pevsner and David Neave as ‘the most splendid of all British Dec funerary monuments’. It is not known for whom the tomb was actually built, although it is thought that it is for Lady Eleanor Percy, the wife of the first Lord Alnwick, who died 1328. The tomb is located adjacent to the High Altar of the church, indicating the wealth and status of the Percy family in the 14th century. It dates to around 1340 and has an elaborately decorated canopy showing the journey of the soul after death. There is no effigy on the tomb and the top slab was removed in 1825.

Content

This is part of the Collection: NMR07 NMR Accessioned Negatives - Catalogued

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Curator: Smith, Adam

Photographer: Houghton, Frederick Tyrie Sidney

Keywords

Medieval Canopied Tomb