An exterior view of St Margaret's Church, showing the south vestry from the east

Date:
1942
Location:
St Margaret's Church, Walmgate, York
Reference:
AA42/08683
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The church is on the site of an earlier church, with a later 12th century south porch in a 14th century nave, which has a north aisle. The south vestry dates to the 15th century and the tower was rebuilt between 1684 and 1685. The chancel has four bays. The church was made redundant in 1974, and has since been used as a warehouse for the Theatre Royal and as the National Centre for Early Music.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Vestry, Medieval Parish Church, Late 20th Century Warehouse, Late 20th Century Music Hall