An exterior view of St Margaret's Church, showing the south elevation between the south vestry and porch

Date:
1942
Location:
St Margaret's Church, Walmgate, York
Reference:
AA42/08685
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The church is on the site of an earlier church, with a late 12th century south porch in a 14th century nave, which has a north aisle. The south vestry dates to the 15th century. The south elevation has three bays in between the porch and vestry, with a buttress of three stages dividing the second and third bays.

The church was made redundant in 1974, and has since been used as a warehouse for the Theatre Royal and as the National Centre for Early Music.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Vestry, Nave, Porch, Medieval Parish Church, Late 20th Century Warehouse, Late 20th Century Music Hall