An interior view of the Bar Convent Chapel, most likely showing a transept from the round sanctuary

Date:
1942
Location:
Bar Convent, Blossom Street, York
Reference:
AA42/08721
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The chapel is part of the convent and school of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The chapel block dates to 1766-1769 and is situated south-east of the convent. The chancel is domed and has an Ionic rotunda of eight columns. A rotunda is a building, or section of one, that is round in shape. The nave has three bays, with a north and south transept at the eastern end, springing from the rotunda. To the west is an organ gallery supported by an arcade of three round-headed arches. It has a wrought-iron balustrade, and underneath are panelled double doors.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Chapel, Sanctuary, Transept, Georgian Chapel, Religion