An exterior view of St Peter and St Leonard's Church, showing the west elevation

Date:
1942
Location:
Church of St Peter and St Leonard, Church Street, Wakefield
Reference:
AA42/09007
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The church was built by John Carr between 1791 and 1793 at his own expense of £8,000. The church has a west tower, nave with octagonal ends and two wings in place of transepts. To the north-east is a vestry and to the south-east is a chapel. The tower has four stages reducing in size. The first stage has round-headed and square windows on all sides, with the south and north windows blocked. The second stage is rusticated and has a clock face.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Classicism, Tower, Georgian Church, Religion