The Market Street front of the Wool Exchange, viewed from the south, with shops in the ground floor arcade and pedestrians on the pavement in front

Date:
1940-1943
Location:
The Wool Exchange, Market Street, Bradford
Reference:
AA43/06094
Type:
Photograph (Negative)
Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Wool Exchange was completed in 1867, to an 1864 competition winning design by Lockwood and Mawson. In the spandrels of the ground floor arcade are carved portrait medallions of notable figures, including Sir Titus Salt, Richard Cobden, Robert Stephenson, Sir Francis Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh, James Watt, and Christopher Columbus. It was used as a wool exchange until the 1970s, and was converted into shopping units in the late 20th century.

Content

This is part of the Series: WOO02/01 Series of negatives taken for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: WOO02 George Bernard Wood Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Wood, George Bernard

Keywords

Post Medieval Wool Exchange, Street Scene, Trade And Commerce