The doorway at 29 Market Place

Date:
1944
Location:
29 Market Place, Newark, Newark And Sherwood, Nottinghamshire
Reference:
AA45/00839
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The building housed the press where 'Fugitive Pieces' and 'Hours of Idleness', Lord Byron's first volumes of poetry, were published in 1806-07. At the time of this photograph (1944) it was home to the Food Control Office, Fuel Control Office and National Registration Office. During the war years, local Food and Fuel Control Offices administered ration books and fuel allowances and the National Registration Office was responsible for identity cards which were issued to everyone resident in the UK at the outbreak of war.

Content

This is part of the Series: MAS02/01 Negatives taken by G B Mason for the National Buildings Record; within the Collection: MAS02 George Bernard Mason Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Mason, George Bernard

Keywords

Doorway, Local Government Office, Georgian House, Second World War