Exterior view of numbers 1, 2 and 3 of St John's Court, previously known as the almshouses

Date:
1940 - 1948
Location:
St John's Court, St John's Street, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
Show all locations
St John's Almshouse, St John's Street, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
Reference:
AA48/05553
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior view of the almshouses at St John's Court, including numbers 1, 2 and 3 which were renovated into terraces in the 1960's. The view is taken from the junction of St John's Street and High Street and shows the long side of the single storey building with three gables and attic rooms. To the right is the short side of the building which has a blocked arch with window instered on the right side, and an arch above it which houses a square inscribed panel. Further right is another terrace which has a walkway on the left side which may be the entrance to the St John's Court buildings. Before being almshouses, the building was part of the hospital of St John of Jerusalem.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Almshouse, Medieval House