Exterior view of Bolton Castle seen from the east in the village

Date:
1940 - 1948
Location:
Bolton Castle, Castle Bolton With East And West Bolton, Castle Bolton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire
Reference:
AA48/05557
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior view of the east side of the castle, which includes the four storey south east tower, the entrance via gatehouse and the remains of the north east tower. The entrance is a pointed arch set within a larger arch and a passageway leading inside. The entrance is set to the right of the south east tower which has damage to the very top. Behind the damaged north east tower some of the interior walls can be seen, possibly those which surround the rectangular courtyard, and the north west tower cen be seen in the background. The castle is late 14th century, built by John Lewyn for Richard le Scrope.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Castle