Exterior view of the west side of Bolton Castle

Date:
1940 - 1948
Location:
Bolton Castle, Castle Bolton With East And West Bolton, Castle Bolton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire
Reference:
AA48/05558
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior view of the west front of the castle, which shows the full height of the two four storey west towers and the three storey range between them. Both of the towers have some damage at the top, creating a dip in the stone work. At the base of the south west tower is a short set of external stairs that descend to the right side of the range. In the backgroun to the left a section of the north range or north east tower can be seen, and in the far left of the image, a part of the village to the east. The castle dates to the 14th century, and was built by John Lewyn for Richard le Scrope.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Castle