View of a market cross with St Augustine's Church in the background, seen from the south

Date:
1940 - 1949
Location:
Market Cross, Market Place, Alston Moor, Eden, Cumbria
Show all locations
St Augustine's Church, Front Street, Alston Moor, Alston, Eden, Cumbria
Reference:
AA48/05561
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

A view of the market cross, which was originally erected in 1764, rebuilt in 1883 and has since been knocked down and re-erected in 1970 and 1981, after the image was taken. The cross has eight columns that hold up a pyramidal stone flag roof which has a cross at the apex. On the apex currently is a 20th century lamp. Behind the cross is a row of shop fronts, which include Kearton's shops. Further in the background is the spire of St Augustine's Church, which dates to 1886 and replaces a 1770 church on the site.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Post Medieval Market Cross, Post Medieval Parish Church