A detail of carved figures in ogee arches around the tomb of Sir Richard and Lady Margaret Herbert, in St Mary's Priory Church

Date:
1930-1948
Location:
St Marys Priory Church, Abergavenny
Reference:
AA48/10560
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The St Mary's Priory Church was originally the church of the Benedictine priory in Abergavenny, and became the parish church after the dissolution of the monasteries in 1536. The church contains numerous alabaster and marble medieval and post medieval funerary monuments and effigies of the ap Thomas and Herbert families. In the Herbert Chapel, these include the memorial to Sir Richard Herbert, who died in 1469, and his wife Lady Margaret Herbert. The monuments were restored between 1994 and 1998.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Tomb, Medieval Church, Medieval Parish Church, Religion