A misericord in Holy Trinity Church depicting a wodewose with raised arms, one of which is missing, in front of a lion, supported on either side by roses

Date:
1949
Location:
Holy Trinity Church, Priory Row, Coventry
Reference:
AA49/05513
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The 15th century misericords in Holy Trinity Church were originally located in the Whitefriars monastery church. The bench stalls which they were attached to remain in the old chapel of St John's Hospital, known as the Old Grammar School. In 1870 the stalls in Holy Trinity Church were restored and 20 of the misericords relocated from the Old Grammar School to the choir of the church. Others were relocated to the Henry VIII Grammar School.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Misericord, Medieval Chapel, Medieval Church, Post Medieval Church, Religion