A misericord in St Mary the Virgin's Church depicting a woman, thought to be the Virgin Mary, whose outstretched arms protect smaller figures, supported on either side by flowers and foliage

Date:
1930-1949
Location:
St Mary The Virgin's Church, Gayton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire
Reference:
AA49/08675
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

St Mary the Virgin's Church was built in the 14th and 15th centuries, and was restored in the 19th and 20th centuries. The misericords in the chancel are believed to be from the 14th and 15th centuries, possibly originally from St James Abbey near Northampton or Dunston Abbey, but several may be later. This misericord, on the north side of the chancel, depicts the Blessed Virgin protecting souls: a woman with a long robe stands with outstretched arms, under which two small figures on each side cling to the hem of her robe. The misericrod is supported on either side by carved flowers and folliage.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Misericord, Medieval Parish Church, Post Medieval Parish Church, 20th Century Parish Church, Religion