A monument to the 1st Duke of Chandos, featuring sculpted figures of the Duke and his first two wives, in the Chandos Mausoleum

Date:
1930-1951
Location:
St Lawrence's Church, Chandos Mausoleum, Little Stanmore, Harrow, Greater London Authority
Show all locations
St Lawrence's Church, Whitchurch Lane, Little Stanmore, Harrow, Greater London Authority
Reference:
AA51/01350
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

St Lawrence's Church was reconstructed in the 18th century by James Brydges, later 1st Duke of Chandos. In 1735 the Chandos Mausoleum was built, attached to the north side of the church. This monument, on the west wall of the mausoleum, is to the 1st Duke and depicts the Duke wearing a wig and dressed as a Roman citizen, flanked by two pilasters. On either side are his first two wives, Mary Lake and Cassandra Willoughby, kneeling towards the Duke with their hands to their chests.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Baroque, Post Medieval Mausoleum, Post Medieval Commemorative Monument, Heraldry