A frieze with Saxon carvings depicting birds, grotesque beasts, and patterns, beneath a window in the south aisle of the Church of St Mary and St Hardulph

Date:
1930-1951
Location:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HARDULPH, SQUIRREL LANE, Breedon on the Hill, North West Leicestershire, Leicestershire
Reference:
AA51/04533
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Saxon sculpture and carvings in St Mary and St Hardulf's Church are thought to be different from styles which exist in Europe. It is believed that the carvings mainly date from the early 9th century. The carvings situated on exterior walls were moved to the interior of the church in 1937.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Early Medieval Carved Stone, Early Medieval Minster, Medieval Parish Church, Post Medieval Parish Church, Art And Design, Religion