A carved oak panel, depicting the Adoration of the Magi, on the pentagonal pulpit in Holy Trinity Church

Date:
1930-1951
Location:
Holy Trinity Church, Bosbury, County Of Herefordshire
Reference:
AA51/05821
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The pulpit in Holy Trinity Church is Jacobean, but incorporates two 16th or 17th century fragments as panels. It is thought that at least two of the panels are foreign, perhaps Flemish. The panels feature relief carvings of the Adoration of the Magi and the Virgin and Child, the Agony in the Garden of Gethsemane, and the Crucifixion. There are suggestions that the fourth panel shows either the Flight into Egypt or the flight of Hagar and Ishmael.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Post Medieval Parish Church, Post Medieval Pulpit, Art And Design, Religion