A carving representing the scene of the Last Judgement, between two piers decorated with carvings within hexagons, on the east side of the Babington Monument in St Winifred's Church

Date:
1930-1951
Location:
St Winifred's Church, Babington Monument, Kingston on Soar, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire
Show all locations
St Winifred's Church, The Green, Kingston on Soar, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire
Reference:
AA51/08562
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The Babington Monument was erected in 1538 by Sir Anthony Babington. It was intended to be used for chantry purposes, and although it was also built to mark the burial vault of the Babington family, there is believed to have been no internments below the monument. The monument, which would originally have been painted, was cleaned and restored in 1992; at this time some original paint still survived.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Commemorative Monument, Religion