A detail of the carved alabaster panel of the tomb of John Tannesley, featuring quatrefoil panels with shields and figures of the Annunciation, in the canopied tomb niche in the north transept of St Mary's Church

Date:
1930-1953
Location:
St Mary's Church, High Pavement, City Of Nottingham
Reference:
AA53/08848
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The tomb in the north transept includes elements from three medieval monuments. The alabaster panel, shown in this photograph, is from the tomb of John de Tannesley (died in around 1414), and was moved from the west side of the transept. The Purbeck marble slab on top was moved from the south transept, and is attributed to William de Amyas. The canopy above relates to Thomas Thurland.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Stone Carving, Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Tomb, Religion