The second window from the east in the south aisle of St Michael le Belfrey Church, with stained glass depicting St John the Baptist, St Peter, St James and St Wilfred

Date:
1930-1953
Location:
St Michael Le Belfrey Church, Minster Yard, York
Reference:
AA53/10886
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The stained glass windows in St Michael le Belfrey Church were restored and rearranged in the 19th and 20th centuries. The figures in this window, which dates from the 16th century, are, from left to right, St John the Baptist, St Peter, St James, and St Wilfred. Below are donors and their families. The two roundels in the centre of the bottom row were removed upon restoration, and were replaced with panels of text. These English inscriptions are modern copies of original 16th century inscriptions which were recorded in the 17th century but have been lost.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Stained Glass, Medieval Church, Religion