The wall-mounted bust and memorial to Gabriel Jean Marie de Lys in St Bartholomew's Church

Date:
1930-1953
Location:
St Bartholomew's Church, Church Street, Edgbaston, Birmingham, Birmingham
Reference:
AA53/12714
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Gabriel Jean Marie de Lys left Brittany as a child during the French Revolution. He graduated as a doctor in the early 19th century and established a medical career in Birmingham, and practised at the Birmingham General Hospital. He founded the General Institution for the Instruction of the Deaf and Dumb, which later became the Royal School for Deaf Children, in Edgbaston. He died in 1831 and is commemorated in this memorial by William Hollins and, with his wife, in a stained glass window in Woodchester Priory, Stroud.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Medieval Church, Victorian Bust, Religion