A view of stained glass depicting the Crucifixion and the Virgin and Child, with saints, bishops, and the Virgin on either side, in the east window in the south aisle of St Mary's Church

Date:
1930-1954
Location:
St Mary's Church, Ayston, Rutland
Show all locations
St Mary The Virgins Church, Ayston, Rutland
Reference:
AA54/04491
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The stained glass in the east window of the south aisle dates from around 1470, and was restored by the York Glaziers Trust in 1973. In the central light is shown the Crucifixion; the image of the Virgin and Child below is known as Virgo Lactans, or the Nursing Madonna. To the left of the Crucifixion is the Virgin Mary, and on the right is St John. Below, on either side of the Virgin and Child, are two bishops: Thomas Becket on the left, with a sword through his mitre, and perhaps St Augustine on the right.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Stained Glass, Window, Medieval Parish Church, Religion