A view of stained glass, behind a Baroque monument to Robert Sacheverell, in the east window of the north chancel chapel in St Matthew's Church

Date:
1955
Location:
St Matthew's Church, CHURCH LANE, Morley, Erewash, Derbyshire
Reference:
AA55/02191
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Most of the stained glass in St Matthew's Church was moved from Dale Abbey at the time of the Dissolution. This glass, which dates from 1482, was repaired and added to in 1847, while other windows date from the 19th and early 20th centuries. This window, at the east end of the north chapel (nII), shows an original medieval figure of St Ursula in the central light. The rest of the glass is Victorian, and depicts the Virgin and Child and St Mary Magdalene on the left and right respectively. In the lower lights is Te Deum and the Holy Church represented by a pope, cardinal and bishop with apostles and martyrs.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Stained Glass, Window, Medieval Church, Religion