A view of the central window in the north aisle of St Mary's Church, with stained glass depicting members of clergy and patron saints

Date:
1930-1956
Location:
St Mary's Church, St Mary's Place, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Reference:
AA56/05658
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Much of the stained glass in St Mary's Church was brought to Shrewsbury in the first half of the 19th century. The glass came from the dissolution of religious houses in Continental Europe, some of which was bought by Revd. William Rowland of Shrewsbury Abbey. Rowland became the vicar of St Mary's in 1828. The windows of St Mary's Church were previously filled with plain glass, and until his death in 1851 Rowland worked to replace this with stained glass. The stained glass in this window (window number nXII) is from two chapels in Trier Cathedral, Germany, and was made in 1479. The panels are 'votive glass': they depict donors, all canons of Trier Cathedral, calling upon their patron saints to pray for them. In the left-hand light are St Lambert at the top, with a donor below, and a donor kneeling before St Luke at the bottom. In the central light is St Agatha and Everard de Hohenfels, the donor, with St Bartholomew, St Peter and St James above. In the right-hand light are St Peter and St Stephen.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Stained Glass, Window, Medieval Parish Church, Religion