The pulpit of St Sampson's Church, made from medieval carved bench ends

Date:
1958
Location:
St Sampson's Church, Church Hill, St. Sampson, Golant, Cornwall
Reference:
AA59/01952
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Pevsner notes that the bench ends in St Sampson's Church, some of which were used to make the pulpit, are "uncommonly varied". They date from the late 15th or early 16th century. The carvings shown in this photograph are, from left to right, two crowned heads on top of castles, an astrolabe, and perhaps a saint. It is thought that the crowned heads and castles may represent King Ferdinand of Spain, as the arms of the house of Castile feature castles; Ferdinand's daughter Catherine of Aragon married Henry VIII in 1509.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Pulpit, Medieval Parish Church, Religion