A medieval carved bench end depicting Titivillus in St Mary the Virgin's Church

Date:
1958
Location:
St Mary the Virgin's Church, Charlton Mackrell, South Somerset, Somerset
Show all locations
St Mary's Church, Charlton Mackrell, South Somerset, Somerset
Reference:
AA59/01956
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Some of the bench ends in St Mary the Virgins' Chuirch are from the early 16th century. Titivillus, a demon, is shown holding a scroll in his left hoof and writing on a scroll which extends around the top and down the left side of the carved panel. In the place of the figure's genitals, a second head is carved.

The print of this negative in the Red Box Collection is a part enlargement showing only the carved panel.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Decorated Panel, Pew, Medieval Parish Church, Religion