A misericord in St Mary's Priory Church depicting the Flight of Alexander the Great, showing a crowned man flanked by two griffins, supported on the left by a decorative 'T' and on the right by a leaf

Date:
1930-1959
Location:
St Mary's Priory Church, Priest Lane, Lower Allithwaite, Cartmel, South Lakeland, Cumbria
Show all locations
Cartmel Priory Church, Lower Allithwaite, Cartmel, South Lakeland, Cumbria
Cartmel Priory, Priest Lane, Lower Allithwaite, Cartmel, South Lakeland, Cumbria
Reference:
AA59/03598
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The choir in the Priory Church of St Mary at Cartmel Priory was restored between 1618-1623, included new screens and stalls with 25 misericords. This misericord, the seventh from the east on the south side, is thought to depict the Flight of Alexander the Great. It shows a crowned figure holding a rod or sceptre, flanked by two griffins, one of which is scaled. It is supported on the left by a decorative letter 'T', and on the right by a leaf.

Content

This is part of the Series: LTC01/01 Lady Trenchard Cox: Series of Negatives; within the Collection: LTC01 Lady Trenchard Cox Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Cox, Mary Desiree

Keywords

Misericord, Medieval Church, Medieval Priory, Religion