Exterior view of the south side and tower of St John the Baptist's Church
- 1940 - 1962
- St John The Baptists Church, Church Lane, Burford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire
- Photograph (Negative)
Exterior view of the south side of the church, with a partial view of the central tower. The south porch is shown, along with the tracery-panelled facade, although the far lef side has been cropped, so only two of the three statuettes are visible. The facade is topped with crenellated pinnacles and houses a pointed arch as an entrance. To the right of the porch are two windows, the closer one gabled with a trefoil niche above it, and the second has a lower roof an no niche. In the background id the partial view of the tower, which crops off the spire, showing only the clock face and the lower secion of the window above it. The church dates to the 12th century but it is possible it has earlier origins. It was restored in the 1870's by Street, which led to William Morris's founding of SPAB (Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings).
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Booty, E M
Medieval Parish Church
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.