View of a medieval cross in the churchyard of St Mary's Church, with the church in the background

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
St Marys Church, Caynham, Shropshire
Show all locations
St Mary's Church, Churchyard Cross, Caynham, Shropshire
Reference:
AA62/07222
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

View of a 14th century medieval cross in the churchyard of St Mary's church, with the church in the background. The cross is a square-centred shaft on a square plinth and three steps and the head is missing. Some carving can be seen, but not clearly, which may be the carved east and west base panels which has carved corners and cabling. In the background is the Norman south door of the church with an arch decorated with chevrons and the west tower with its pyramidal roof further to the left. The church dates to the 12th century, however much was rebuilt in 1885, including the chancel and the south wall of the nave.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Churchyard Cross, Medieval Church