Detail of a 15th century octagonal font in St Andrew's Church

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
St Andrew's Church, Ipplepen, Teignbridge, Devon
Reference:
AA62/07231
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Detail of a 15th century stone octagonal font with carved panels on the bowl and niches around the shaft. The panels alternate between quatrefoils and shields, and there is a small band running around the bowl near the top with impressed patterns that are difficult to discern. The panels on the shaft also alternate between arcading and carvings of figures. The image shows a figure carved in the central panel of three, holding what appears to be a sword to their left. The panels on either side have empty arcading. The church is a 15th century parish church which has some components dating back to the 14th century, including the chancel.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Font, Medieval Parish Church