Interior view of St Mary's Church with the octagonal font and font cover in the centre

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
St Marys Church, Church Lane, Ufford, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk
Reference:
AA62/07260
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

The font has an octagonal bowl and stem carved with roses in quatrefoils and shields. The font cover is a huge layered wooden structure with canopied niches and crocketed finials. The lowest layer has minature flying buttresses with traceried arches supporting the sections above it, and near the top is a carving of a pelican in her piety with outstretched wings, although this is not very clear in the image. The church dates to the late 12th century to early 13th century with 19th century additions.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Church, Uncertain Font