Exterior view of the south side of St Margaret's Church, with a white stone monument to the Nightingale family, including Florence Nightingale, in the foreground

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
St Margaret's Church, Wellow, East Wellow, Test Valley, Hampshire
Reference:
AA62/07263
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior view of the south side of St Margaret's church, a 13th century parish church with a 16th century aisle, and 19th centry vestry. The east end of the church is cropped off so the south porch is on the right side of the image, with a round arch entrance and gabled roof. To the left is the west bell tower which is supported on three huge posts, and has Jacobean wood panelling surrounding it. On top of the tower is a thin cross. In the foreground is part of the churchyard, and at the very front left is a white Gothic stone monument to the Nightingale family, including Florence Nightinglae. A wreath has been laid at the base of the south side of the monument. The monument was damaged by a fallen tree during a storm in February 2014, and repaired by May of the same year.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Early 20th Century Commemorative Monument