Detail of 12th century barrel font with carvings of a bishop surrounded by dragons, in St James' Church
- 1940 - 1962
- St James' Church, High Street, Avebury, Wiltshire
- Photograph (Negative)
Detail of a 12th century barrel font which has carvings of a bishops, who can just be seen on the left side of the font, holding a hooked staff with dragons and scrolls surrounding him. Underneath these carvings is a band of arcading which goes to the base of the bowl. The top of the bowl has been damaged, with sections chipped off, and the font is on a round plinth. The church dates to the 10th century with amendments made during the 12th to 15th centuries.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Booty, E M
Medieval Font, Early Medieval Anglican Church
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.