View of the chapter house, an arcade of three large pointed arches and a small round door, in Beaulieu Abbey

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
Beaulieu Abbey, Beaulieu, New Forest, Hampshire
Reference:
AA62/07286
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

View of the chapter house at the abbey, which includes an arcade of three large pointed arches running left to right, with a small round doorway on the right before the join to an adjacent wall. The ruined walls only reach the top of the arches, and there are low ruin walls in the arches, possibly where windows had been. The abbey was the first Cistercian foindation is the 13th century and founded by King John in 1204. It was dissolved in 1538.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Cistercian Abbey