Exterior view of All Saints' Church, seen from the east, with a war memorial in the foreground

Date:
1940 - 1949
Location:
All Saints' Church, Church Street, Martock, South Somerset, Somerset
Show all locations
The War Memorial and boundary wall between south and north-east gateways, Church of All Saints, Martock, South Somerset, Somerset
Reference:
AA62/07309
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior view of the church, seen from the east, with a set of steps leading to the church and war memorial and boundary wall in the foreground on the right side. The memorial has an octagonal base and four plaques dedicated to those who fought during the two World Wars, the Falklands War and the Korean War. Above the plaques is an octagonal shaft that is topped with a Celtic style cross. The war memorial was unveiled in 1922 and designed by Henry Wilson, and the wall probably dates to the 19th century. Behind the memorial is the five light east window and south east chapel with pinnacles and parapet, and at the far left is a partial view of the south porch. In the background is the west tower, which has a clockface on the east side between two windows, battlemented parapets and pinnacles on the corners and a weathervane in the centre. The church dates mainly to the 13th and 16th centuries.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Early 20th Century War Memorial (Freestanding)