View of three arches in Netley Abbey, most likely the three-bay arched entrance to the chapter house from the cloister
- 1940 - 1949
- Netley Abbey, Hound, Netley, Eastleigh, Hampshire
- Photograph (Negative)
A view of three pointed arches which lead to a room, most likely the chapter house in the east range of the abbey, from the cloister. The external walls of the chapter house in the background have two arched lights with a sexfoil head within each window. The arches from the cloister have multiple moulds, and the end arch on the right has had a small wall built up, possibly a later addition. The abbey was founded in 1239 by Peter de Roches, Bishop of Winchester, and later became the manor house of Sir William Paulet after the abbey was dissolved.
© Historic England Archive
Photographer: Booty, E M
Medieval Cistercian Abbey
Our website works best with the latest version of the browsers below, unfortunately your browser is not supported. Using an old browser means that some parts of our website might not work correctly.