Exterior view of the west front of St Mary and St Germain's Church, formerly known as Selby Abbey

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
St Mary And St Germain Church, Selby, North Yorkshire
Show all locations
Selby Abbey, Selby, North Yorkshire
Reference:
AA62/07326
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

View of the west front of the church, formerly Selby Abbey, with a set of gates within a fence in the foreground. The Image was most likely taken from the Market Place and shows the whole height of the front. The top of the west front appear to be 13th century, while the lower part is earlier, dating to the 12th century. At the foot of the front are the double doors set within a rounded arch, a row of arcading above it, and the huge west window above that. Over the window is a gable-shaped section which is topped with a cross. The west towers stand on either side, with three sections in cluing windows, and pinnacles on each corner of the towers. The towers were restored and added in height by J. Oldrid Scott in 1935 after a fire in 1906. The abbey became the parish church after it was dissolved in 1536.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Benedictine Abbey