Exterior view of the north side of St Mary and St Germain Church, formerly known as Selby Abbey, with the tower in the background

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
St Mary And St Germain Church, Selby, North Yorkshire
Show all locations
Selby Abbey, Selby, North Yorkshire
Reference:
AA62/07327
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior view of the north side of the church, which has six buttresses along the eastern end of the north side, each topped with a crennelated pinnacle and alternating with the pointed arch windows. In the background is the tower, which was replaced around 1701-02 after it collapsed in 1609, and north vestry. The clockface can just be seen at the base of the eastern face of the tower. The abbey was first founded in 1069, and became the parish church after it was dissolved in 1536.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Medieval Benedictine Abbey