Exterior view of the south side of the Holy Trinity Cathedral Church, seen from the south-west, on the site of the former cloisters

Date:
1940 - 1962
Location:
Holy Trinity Cathedral Church, The Close, Winchester, Hampshire
Reference:
AA62/07351
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior view of the south side of the cathedral church, seen from the south-west, with the long side of the nave flanked by flying buttresses in the foreground, and the square tower and south transepts in the background. The buttresses were added to the cathedral by Sir T. G. Jackson between 1909-12 during a general restoration. The tower was replaced soon after it collasped in 1107, and the transepts date to the 11th century. The Norman arcade attached to the south transept connects the Deanery to the cathedral, although this cannot be seen in the image. The first parts of the cathedral, including the nave, transepts and crypts, were built by Bishop Walkely between 1079-95.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Cathedral