Exterior detail of the 12th century south porch at St Mary and St Aldhelm's Abbey Church, showing the round arch of three orders

Date:
1940 - 1963
Location:
St Mary And St Aldhelm's Abbey Church, Market Cross, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
Reference:
AA63/02110
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

Exterior detail of the dooryway in the south porch. The door is surrounded by a three-order round arch which is highly decorated, and a round hood mould on the exterior of the arches. One of the outer arches has carvel oval panels, which can just be seen in the image, with Biblical scenes in each one. The individual scenes and decorative patterns cannot be seen clearly. The exterior of the porch was rebuilt in the 14th century, with an addition of buttresses. The Benedictine Abbey was founded in 637 by Mailduib, an Irish hermit, and became the parish church after the Dissolution.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Parish Church, Early Medieval Benedictine Abbey