View of Abingdon Bridge, most likely seen from the south bank of the Thames, with the Nags Head and Salter's Cafe in the distance on the left

Date:
1940 - 1964
Location:
Abingdon Bridge, Abingdon, Vale Of White Horse, Oxfordshire
Show all locations
Nags Head, Abingdon, Vale Of White Horse, Oxfordshire
Maud Hales Bridge, Culham, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire
Reference:
AA64/03037
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Not what you're looking for? Try a new search

Description

View of Abingdon Bridge, also known as the Maud Hales Bridge, seen from the south bank of the Thames, west of the bridge. The north section of the bridge appears to be named the Abingdon Bridge, while the south section is named after Maud Hales. The south section was built in 1416 by the Abingdon Guild of the Holy Cross, with squared stone, and was largely rebuilt in 1927. The north section is also 15th century, and was altered in 1790 and 1830. In the background, on the left of the image, is the Nags Head, an 18th century timber-framed public house.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Bridge, Georgian Timber Framed Building