The site was discovered in the village of Downton in 1953 and was excavated between 1955-1956. The villa dates between 300 and 400 AD. The Downton Mosaic depicts a vessel with two fish for handles. It formed part of the floor of a room that may have been a dining room. The mosaics were moved to Salisbury Museum.
This is part of the Volume: AL0651 Downton Roman Pavement, Downton; within the Series: OWS01/01 The 'Blue Albums'; within the Collection: OWS01 Office of Works and Successors: Ancient Monuments and Historic Buildings
© Crown copyright
People & Organisations
Photographer: Ministry Of Works
Roman Mosaic, Roman Pavement