A view of the 14 century Landgate in Rye

Date:
1940 - 1953
Location:
Landgate, Rye, Rother, East Sussex
Reference:
BB53/00630
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Description

View of the south side of the Landgate seen from East Cliff. It is a fortified gate which dates back to the 14th century. It's main function was to protect the town during the Hundred Years' War. The clock face is visible in theimage, and was installed in 1862. The Forge and Forge House are also seen on the right of the gate, and are both listed.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Back
to top