The interior of the Great Chamber of Lyddington Bede House

Date:
1916 - 1933
Location:
Lyddington Bede House, Bluecoat Lane, Lyddington, Rutland
Reference:
BB56/01792
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Description

Lyddington Bede House originated as the medieval wing of a palace belonging to the Bishops of Lincoln. By 1600 it had passed to Sir Thomas Cecil, son of Queen Elizabeth’s chief minister, who converted it into an almshouse for 12 poor ‘bedesmen’ over 30 years old and two women (over 45).

Content

This is part of the Collection: ROU01 Routh, T E

Rights

Source: Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Routh, T E

Keywords

Great Chamber, Almshouse, Bishops Palace

Back
to top