Detail of 12th century font in St Andrew's Church

Date:
1940 - 1949
Location:
St Andrew's Church, Church Street, Banwell, North Somerset
Reference:
BB57/00142
Type:
Photograph (Negative)

Image not available

Description

Detail view of a 12th century font with a round stone bowl and short cylindrical shaft on a round base. There are carvings of flower stalks with leaves around the bowl which reach up towards open flower carvings near the rim of the bowl. Above this sits the font cover which is highly decorated and has a small spire. The church itself is 15th century and was restored in the 19th century.

Content

This is part of the Series: EMB01/01 Negatives taken by Mrs E M Booty; within the Collection: EMB01 Mrs E M Booty Collection

Rights

© Historic England Archive

People & Organisations

Photographer: Booty, E M

Keywords

Medieval Font

Back
to top